ARMY TM 5-5420-212-23
MARINE CORPS TM 08676A-23/3
(11) Move shaft towards L.H. end of frame, and using caliper face wrench unscrew flanged nut (28) by gripping
shaft with open-ended wrench.
(12) Withdraw shaft (19) through R.H. end of frame, collecting thrust washers (29), roller (23), flanged collars (22)
and stop (18).
R.H. roller inner bearing shells will remain on shaft with flanged nut (28).
(13) Having withdrawn shaft (19) use caliper face wrench to remove second flanged nut (28) and slide off the inner
(14) Use slide hammer to remove seals (30) from roller.
(15) Immerse roller (23) in boiling water for 5 minutes, then remove.
(16) Tap roller firmly down on bench, bearings (31) will slide out, then remove bearings.
(17) Repeat steps (1) to (16) for other shaft.
(18) Remove screws (32) from cover plate (33) and remove plate from pedestal (34).
(19) Remove nut (35) and washer (36) from pin (37) using 3/4 in drive impact wrench with 2 1/4 in deep well
socket, then remove pedestal from pedestal assembly.
(20) Using sharp knife remove rubber supports (38), then remove nuts (39) and washers (40) from bolts (41).
(21) Withdraw bolts with washers (42) and remove block (43).
Cleaning solvent is toxic and flammable. Use only in well ventilated area and avoid prolonged
breathing of fumes. Keep solvent away from flames. Do not use In excessive amounts and avoid
(1) Clean all parts except seals, with solvent and dry with clean cloth.
(2) Inspect parts for wear and damage. Check protective coatings are not worn.
(3) In particular check that shaft is not bent. If shaft is bent or obviously damaged, report condition to depot
maintenance. Check for burrs and damage to shoulders, square ends and threaded portions.
(4) Check inner bore of rollers for scoring.
(5) Inspect rubber pad (54) for wear and deterioration.