UNIT MAINTENANCE INSTRUCTIONS
SECTION I. LUBRICATION INSTRUCTIONS
4-1. General. The support roller is the only item on the pallet requiring lubrication.
4-2. Roller Lubrication.
a. Removal (figure 4-1).
(1) Using a proper sized drift pin, drive the spring pin into axle as far as it will go (figure 4-1, View A).
(2) Use a brass punch or soft driving pin to drive axle through support plates and roller.
(3) Remove spring pin, axle and roller.
(4) Install spring pin in support plate pin hole using a drift pin and hammer. Drive spring pin into hole
until flush with support plate (figure 4-1, View B).
b. Cleaning and Lubrication.
Dry-cleaning solvent, P-D-680, used to clean parts is potentially dangerous to
personnel and property. Avoid repeated and prolonged skin contact. Do not use
near open flame or excessive heat. Flash point of solvent is 100 degrees F to 138
degrees F (38 degrees C to 59 degrees C).
(1) Clean roller and axle with cleaning solvent, item 1, Appendix E Dry with low pressure compressed
(2) Pack roller bearings with grease, item 2, Appendix E.
(3) Apply grease, item 2, Appendix E, to axle.
(1) Position roller between holes in support plates.
(2) Install axle through holes in support plates and roller, using a soft hammer if necessary.
(3) Align axle pin hole with pin hole in support plate.
(4) Install slotted pin in support plate pin hole, using a drift pin to drive slotted pin until flush with support
plate (View B).
SECTION II. REPAIR PARTS, SPECIAL TOOLS AND EQUIPMENT
4-3. Repair Parts. Repair parts are listed and illustrated in Appendix F.
4-4. Special Tools and Equipment . No special tools are equipment are required.
4-5. Fabricated Tools and Equipment. No fabricated tools and equipment are required.
SECTION III. SERVICE UPON RECEIPT
4-6. Inspecting and Servicing the Equipment . The cargo pallets shall be given a general inspection for
cracks, breaks, broken welds or any other damage. Check to see that the roller Is properly lubricated.
4.7. Equipment Conversion. Install 4 x 4 timbers in the stake pockets on the sides and ends in the deck of
the pallet and add side rails for retaining loose cargo or bulk materials.